Thursday 1 September 2011

Preparing A Romantic Dinner


I started out this painting as soon as my final year exams of university were over. Finally in holidays, I had a lot of ideas, endless plans that I wanted to put on my to-do lists. Lying somewhere in between of being a student and having a job, lied this great opportunity- to be idle and catch-up on hobbies and all the crazy things I would not have had time to do otherwise. This painting happened when bored, I was browsing through my favorite fashion magazine, Femina, checking on the the trendy winter wears. Then came the hard-to-miss section- Food and Recipes. Quick dinner recipes made easy, too irresistible not to catch my attention! As I was grabbing my pen and recipe book to jot the dishes down, I noticed how worn out was the cover. Just then came an idea, to combine my two interests. Why not paint a cover for my notebook of recipes collection? It would be a pity if I couldn't paint myself a creative and pretty cover for my Recipe Notebook. The very night I started out with the paint work. Few good food I had browsed through earlier in the day and good wine seemed to be something I was motivated to freeze with my paint brushes. Two months' of work, and here lies the painting, completed. 

Below are the emphasized parts of the painting. 

Part 1: I love this one most in the painting- Read wine and Spicy Mixed Vegetables side-dish, enough to make any dinner wonderful and romantic! 


Red wine and a 'Mixed Vegetables' side-dish 


Part 2: The Ingredients & Spices, Vegetables and Equipment [Mortar and Pestle] used in the cooking of the dishes. However, i took this picture while this piece of work was still incomplete- the cap of the bottle is left to be painted and the final touch is lacking. 


Mortar and Pestel, Salt, Oil and few ingredients


In the frame, we have a Bottle of Oil, Mortar and Pestle, Salt, Red Chilly, Garlic, Capsicum, some Peas scattered on the table, that were used to prepare dinner. Pasta in Red Tomato Sauce and a Mixed Vegetables side-dish, accompanied by a Jug of Lemonade and a tray of Glasses Served with Red Wine. Voila! That sets the mood and atmosphere for a romantic dinner, cooked home.

Here is the final still life... 


Final Still Life

Painted in Acrylics on paper. Style used: Renaissance Art, and stressed upon Transparency Art, playing on colors on the reflective surfaces.


I haven't placed it as the cover of my Recipe Notebook yet. I still need to find myself a nice heading or I may just go with something like 'Recipes Notebook', that's still undecided. But when I finished with the paint work, the painting in itself has brought me a sense of completion! :)





9 comments:

  1. ur craze for food can be illustrated in your paintings. i should admit you are good at drawing. as for the theme, wine is a complementary element of a romantic dinner XD i wonder how many days u took to complete this painting. do u have any other talents like clay modelling or handicraft stuffs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craze? :D I wouldn't put it like that, lol i'd say its a field of interest! ;) I started two months ago, but didn't work on it everyday, rather only when was motivated. That could be about 10-15 days of serious work. I tried clay modelling at school, but didn't continue with it. Other artistic things? Hmm, well i can apply mehendi. :D Can't recall any other things for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I may suggest, you should go with something exciting like "Taste Buds Delights Inside" or a more feisty (no pun intended) "Taste Buds Fiesta Inside" for your recipe notebook, instead of just the very plain and bland "Recipes Notebook".
    Some other suggestions:
    - My Life Savoured
    - Savouring Life One Dish At A Time
    - Once upon a dish...
    - Deliciously Mine (or Deliciously Yours)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the suggestions Victor. They are interesting and unusual at the same time. Maybe i will go with the Deliciously Mine/ My life Savored. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being unusual and interesting with words is kind of my thing. I'm a bit of a poet myself. Glad you liked my suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Victor. Would like to read the poems some time. Do post the link [if ever you post them].

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure, but I doubt you're into the stuff I write about. Anyways, here... http://moourl.com/thevictor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I think the link above doesn't work anymore. Try this one.
    http://bit.ly/qRd58M

    ReplyDelete